> http://www.slrecords.net/test_videos.php
>
> Or do I just have to accept that at the moment you can't get drop down
> menus to drop in front of a flash player??

No, the scriupt is the culprit.  Even Dreamweaver gets this wrong out of
the box.  Use [1]swfObject, as follows:

Include swfobject in the head of your document:
  <script type="text/javascript" language="javascript"
src="path/to/swfObject.js"></script>

In your HTML, for the flash piece:

      var so = new
SWFObject('path/to/flashFile.swf','slideshow',700,400,8,'#ffffff');
           so.addParam('quality','high');
           so.addParam('wmode','transparent');
      so.write('Slideshow');
</script>

Note:
ID can be whatever you'd like, but that ID must match up in the code right
after the path.
700 is the width
400 is the height
8 is the version to detect

Also, make srure you set z-index where necessary.

[1] http://code.google.com/p/swfobject/