Alex Cole wrote:

> ... In FF, Opera, Chrome and Safari this displays exactly as I would
> expect with the inner content getting cut off at the 200px line,
> however in IE, no matter what I try, it seems to stretch the parent
> div to as big as the contents.  There is a very basic demo of the
> problem here: http://www.y-less.com/yavascript/ietest.html

Old IE-problem known as the "auto-expansion bug".

1: the doctype used leaves all browsers in quirks mode...
<http://gutfeldt.ch/matthias/articles/doctypeswitch/table.html>

Only IE needs a proper doctype...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/contents/wd_additions_34.html>
...but IE7 and later versions really, really, need it badly.

2: for IE6 you have to "kill" the "auto-expansion bug" regardless of
mode, since IE6 and older IE-versions, and _all_ IE-versions when
they're in quirks mode, have zero respect for declared dimensions and
will expand elements until all content fits inside.
Declaring 'overflow: hidden' on .inner doesn't work since 'height: 100%'
is 100% of the "auto-expanded" .outer.

So, you have to add...
* html .outer {overflow: hidden;}
...to "kill" that IE bug.