Well - the clear:both mentioned above worked fairly well on everything
except IE 6 or 7.  What else should I have expected?  :-)  It blew the
rest of the page to smithereens in those browsers.

So I'm at a loss to know how to really get the content centered and
still not have a bunch of dead space at the top.