>>> At what resolution are you comparing font sizes?

1280x1024 on a 20 inch laptop
Firefox 3.0.3

> At 96dpi Firefox has slightly larger font size than IE, probably because
> of different font-size rounding - +/- 1px difference. Hitting the
> middle-ground is easy enough on 96dpi, but not relevant if resolution is
> 120dpi.
> Don't think Firefox compensates - changes to larger base for font-size -
> on 120dpi, but IE does.

Good point.  Yes that seems to be the case.  One thing we do in these
situations, is create a detection script for each main browser.  If you want
to get detailed, this is how you can control it, with multiple browsers.

> Browsers are at different stages for how to handle resolution-induced
> problems and differences, so any solution _we_ introduce now is likely
> to break as new browser-versions arrive.

What we do is just update the style sheet then for new browser releases.
Its not too hard.  Depends on how detailed you want to be.

Kelly Sigethy - Frynge.com
Web Design - Hosting - Advertising
http://www.frynge.com
1-403-251-9486 (Calgary)
1-866-331-9684 (Toll Free - Canada and the USA)
+44 (0)8717 206 505 (United Kingdom)