> The page in question
> http://www.college-algebra.com/essays/toc_essays.html
> In FF the background images on the gray menu items appear exactly where I
> want them between the left border and the text.
> In IE7 they are almost completely hidden "under" the left border.
> How do I correct this?

I haven't looked at your code, but can probably help.  If you haven't
started by zeroing out your margins AND padding on your list elements
(ul, li, a tags) then explicitly setting them in your stylesheet
rules, you'll often run into what you're seeing.  It's the differences
between browser defaults in how they treat list items.  Some browsers
use padding, some margins for their default settings.  To counter
this, you must make it look at the settings you want your list
elements to have.

Chris A.