Brett wrote:
> Georg,
>
> Thanks.  Of course you are right, there are way too many variables to
>  make every OS and every browser look exactly the same, and it's a
> fools dream to attempt it.  I really just want to have the text size
>  a bit closer between the two platforms.

Make sure your PC and your Mac have same-size screens set with same
resolution - and that your browsers are set identically, and you
shouldn't be far off. Oh, and decide whether you want to count
screen-pixels or visible size.
I haven't noticed more than */+ 1 screen-pixel deviation in font-size
when same document is evaluated in same browser across my PCs and my
Mac. Depends somewhat on how you declare your font-sizes and other
variables though, as not all methods work equally well across the entire
range.

> I design on a MAC and I try to set text sizes suitable for a "normal"
>  text setting on the PC, and to accommodate up to two increases in
> text size without drastically altering the layout.

Last time I looked the VCAG advised to allow for at least up to 200%
font-resizing above "normal" at the user-end - without creating problems
for end-users.
IMO: designs that can't take that much are not designed for the web, but
there are plenty of them around.

> I guess this is just another joy of designing for the web.

Yes, and if you want "same size - same look" everywhere it'll only get
"worse" as new software/hardware combinations arrive on the market.
I'm looking forward to having more of these variables, but I know that's
not too common an attitude.

regards
        Georg
--