[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Sorry if this is a little bit out of left field, but I was looking over
> a colleague's work today, and I noted that he should be using IDs
> instead of classes for elements which appear once on a page.
>
> He told me that he had modeled what his page on the www.w3c.org splash
> page, and there were indeed elements which appear to be singletons
> (banner, navBlock) but used classes instead of ID. Is there some
> technical reason for these layout divs to be marked up with classes?

I often battle with myself on this issue. I tend to use a single index
file and pipe everything through it using PHP, so for me, the real
question isn't whether or not something appears only once on a page, but
whether or not it is permitted to be replicated.

For example, I'm unlikely to replicate a footer, so this gets an id.
Likewise, the masthead only appears once, so it too gets an id. I could
very well replicate menus; admin menu, user menu, blog roll and so on,
so they get classes.

I don't use ads, so I can't comment on banners. Perhaps this is a
different question for me, since I use my own templating system, but if
something _might_ be replicated, or _could be_ replicated, I class it,
otherwise, I identify it.

Hope that makes /some/ sense.
--Bill

Bill Brown, MacNimble.com :: "From dot concept to dot com since 1999"
WebDevelopedia.com, TheHolierGrail.com, Cyber-Sandbox.com, Anytowne.com
"The intuitive mind is a sacred gift and the rational mind is a
faithful servant. We have created a society that honors the servant and
has forgotten the gift. -- Albert Einstein