> I guess this is meant by CSS2.1:17.5.3: "CSS 2.1 does not define how extra
> space is distributed when the 'height' property causes the table to be
> taller than it otherwise would be."

That appears to be the explanation.

So, obviously, the fix is to set the height of the individual elements
so that the overall height of the table is the sum of the heights of
its component parts rather than setting the overall height of the
table and leaving an element to be "filled in" as the difference
between the overall hight and the total height of other relevant
elements.

Thanks for the input.  I'd say that you nailed it! :)

           ... doug

         ... doug