On Sun, 11 Jan 2009, Bruno Fassino wrote

Hello Bruno,

>Your article is interesting, but I do not fully agree on your
>conclusion that "browsers do not know the x-height".

Badly phrased perhaps. I meant that it is not possible programmatically
to directly read the x-height font metric. This page
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms534014(VS.85).aspx shows the
parameters that can be read, by a call to the appropriate Operating
System function, for an installed font. Note "otmsXHeight" which is the
x-height and the comment further down "Not supported". It's immaterial
whether the OS is just being awkward, or the x-height is not stored in
the font file - if the OS can't _directly_ retrieve a value then neither
can a browser. For a browser to get a value for x-height the only
logical choices would be seem to be some sort of Look-Up-Table or
rendering and measuring the character.

>If you ask Gecko a box with width 1ex, it gets it
>correctly,
I'll have a closer look at the correspondence between ex box dimensions
and results from my pixel counting program :-)

I'll never quite understand why CSS spec writers put in a requirement
that browser authors determine x-height and then, instead of leaving the
programmers to implement the requirement, they tell them what the
answers going to be  - and get it wrong.

--
Richard Mason
http://www.emdpi.com