Michael Forker wrote:
> http://imdserver.infj.ulst.ac.uk/B00344398/index.html

> My sidebar is not scaling in the browser with the rest of the content
> the way it should be, can anyone please help?

Main cause is that pixels don't scale, and your pixel-sized
side-paddings are added to width. So, don't mix percentages and pixels
for dimensioning in such a layout.

Fixed height don't scale either, so don't declare height on scaling
elements - especially not if they contain text.

"body" isn't an ID on a div - body is an element and it is missing in
your page...
<http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://imdserver.infj.ulst.ac.uk/B00344398/index.html>
...along with a few other "details".

Font-size in pixels will create problems for some users who don't know
how to use their browser (IE). All browsers can override font size no
matter what unit it's declared in, and thereby create problems for
inflexible layouts.

Better try something that is slightly more in line with web standards,
and that actually works across browser-land, like so...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/mf/test_09_0209.html>
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/mf/test_09_0209_files/portfoli.css>

I left most details the validator is complaining about to you.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no