>>Is there a way to write the style so that it will work without putting a
>>style unique to each page in the head of that page? Can CSS compare the
>>href to the URL and if they match, highlight the href? If every body tag
>>has a unique id and I add a matching id to the link to that page, could
>>I somehow get the browsers to compare that?
>

> You could probably do something with the CSS3 :target pseudo-class, but
> it would be awkward at best.  Browser support would also be lacking.
> The best bet is some sort of server side programming or Javascript;
> however, both would be off topic.

Scott - thanks!

Browser support isn't too big an issue for this - the site works without
it, this just adds a little extra.

http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-selectors/#target-pseudo
If I understand :target pseudo-class (which I don't necessarily!) it
looks like you can take, say, all the anchor links and style them. It
seems to be about creating groups, and giving them a treatment.

Is there any css approach to comparing two things, and styling according
to how they compare?

Sandy