On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 4:58 PM, Jack Timmons <jorac...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Sarah Atkinson <
> sarah.atkin...@cookmedical.com> wrote:
>
>> Found this in one of the css files a co worker sent me with his design
>> templete. What is it for? Anyone know? Is it legal? And what is with the *
>>
>> * html #facebox_overlay { /* ie6 hack */  position: absolute;  height:
>> expression(document.body.scrollHeight > document.body.offsetHeight ?
>> document.body.scrollHeight : document.body.offsetHeight + 'px'); }
>>

> That's a proprietary (and invalid, although it's considered ok in some
> circles if placed in a conditional comment stylesheet) statement.
>
> It sets the height equal to scrollHeight if it's larger than offsetHeight,
> otherwise sets it to offsetHeight.
>
> * selectes all elements, and can be used to target IE (since * html isn't
> valid).
>
> http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/ie7-dehacker.html
> http://www.webdevout.net/css-hacks

To clarify:

* is valid (choses all elements)

* html isn't.

* html targets IE6 and below. I assume since he's using that it isn't in a
conditional commented stylesheet (also since it has Facebook, and therefore
is satanic, evil, gives bad karma, and causes you to be reborn as a work
mule with osteoperosis and psoriasis ;) ).

<end copy/paste of my idiocy>
I'm horrible at responding back to the list instead of the OP.

--
-Jack Timmons
http://www.trotlc.com