On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 20:23:06 -0500, Scott Schumpert wrote:
> I am hoping that someone else has experienced this and has figured out some
> solution, but I just can't seem to...
>
> I'd like to put an rightwards arrow in front of a link and using the 2192
> code it works fine in safari, firefox and my preview in my css helper. I even
> added the escaped hexadecimal code for the character entity.
>
> It just will not display in Opera (9.63) at all -- is this a bug or am I
> writing something wrong? It's not just this entity either, the :before won't
> display any text either. Oddly enough, the :after element works just fine. Is
> this a margin or padding problem?
>
> I know I'm not giving a lot of information, but I don't have a live example
> and I was just hoping someone has seen this behavior before.

Without seeing your code, I can't comment. But as far as displaying
Unicode characters like this, I have indeed seen similar behavior, even
when using a Unicode entity directly in the HTML.

Not all fonts have a full range of Unicode glyphs needed to display
all characters. Partly it depends on the font stack you specify, partly
on what fonts are available on the visitor's computer, and partly on
what strategy a browser uses to substitute for a font that does not
contain a particular glyph. Sadly, browsers seem to differ on the
strategy they use, although I wouldn't say one was better than
another - just different.

Your best bet is to try to ensure that all fonts in your font stack
contain the arrow character. This is not foolproof, as I found out,
because the same named font does not necessarily contain an equal
set of glyphs on all computers.

I wish I had an answer, but my conclusion seems to be "it depends."

Cordially,
David