>> I bet I know what the color matching problem is.  I just went
>> through a
>> BIG learning curve because of this issue.  I think it's that  the
>> image
>> was saved with a Color Profile attached/embedded.  Almost  all
>> browsers
>> ignore color profiles, but Safari pays attention to  them.

You can make Firefox pay attention too:
http://tinyurl.com/6tceu5

And you can check it works here:
http://www.gballard.net/psd/saveforwebshift.html

Desaturated, washed out images in browsers is not only annoying, but
hard to explain to clients when their supplied images loose their
"brilliance". At least colour/color management is starting to
infiltrate browserland and may one day become widespread ...

Cheers,
KathyW.