Hi all,

I have a baffling problem with an unwanted space between columns in a
three-column layout. I have made an example page here:

http://www.tellura.co.uk/ruberyowen/index.htm

I have 3 div elements, called navcolumn, content and sidebar. They are
all floated left and I have defined the width. However, I have clearly
done something wrong because the calculated widths throw column 3 down
below the other 2. As a result, I have defined the width of the
content div as much lower than it should be. IE6 respects that width
but leaves a big gap at the right (if I float sidebar right then the
gap is between content and sidebar). Safari and Firefox push the width
out to fill all of the space. The table below shows the numbers:

                        navcolumn               content                 sidebar
                total
calc width      258                             405
287                             950
set width
in css          258                             380
275                             913

Browser
measured
width:

Safari          259                             411
276                             946
FF                      259                             411
        276                             946
IE6                     257                             379
        274                             910

My question is, what am I missing in getting these three columns to
float properly next to each other and use the space properly?

The css is here:
http://localhost/ruberyowen/css/styles.css
The xhtml is here:
http://localhost/ruberyowen/index.htm

Anyway, any guidance would be appreciated.

Ian.
--
ianpi...@mac.com
07590 685840 | 01926 811383