--- On Thu, 3/19/09, Michael Stevens <bigm...@bigmikes.org> wrote:

> So, is it uncommon, or bad practice, to use both in this
> situation?
>
> {height: 7.2em; width: 20%;}

More and more, I find myself using the two in various combinations. It gets
particularly interesting if you throw pixels into the mix (which *can* still
have valid uses!) and/or combine different measurements with, for example,
width, min-width, and max-width.

Generally speaking, I think the following are relevant points:

1. Line lengths are less legible if they are too short or too long; this
suggests some level of box-sizing related to font-size, i.e. ems.

2. That's not to say the line length cannot vary; min-width and max-width in
ems can still achieve readable copy with varying font sizes.

3. Horizontal scrolling is BAD. Unrestricted em-sizing tends to lead to
horizontal scrolling, but this can be mitigated (esp. on the good browsers)
with max-width as a percentatge - e.g. 100%

4. Users with v. wide screen resolutions might like to take advantage of the
fact. This suggests some level of percentage-based box sizing (for width).

5. Equally, users with narrow resolutions are increasingly common - mobile
phones, handheld games consoles, pdas, etc. It would be wise to ensure your
content is at least readable by them, so large fixed widths may not be the best
long-term strategy.

I think 'combined measure' layouts are the way of the future; georg (I /think/
- apologies if someone else!) discussed these at great length in an excellent
mail the other day. Em layouts have fallen out of favour recently with the
introduction of page zooming, especially given that percentage-based layouts
tend to behave 'nicely' with this technique (i.e. NOT causing horizontal
scrollbars in good browser implementations). I don't think 'unrestricted'
percentage-based layouts are the end of the story, though.

I'm currently experimenting with a (much improved) layout for my site's home
page which will combine some of these concepts to produce a layout that scales
nicely with font size, adapts to browser width appropriately, and gives
everyone 'screen estate' value for money. More on
http://www.fiveminuteargument.com very soon.

- Bobby