I would think this is fairly common, but I can neither find a solution or
figure one out :(.  I just want 3 columns in my header like this (texts are
just examples):
Login/Signup            We are the best            Languages | Settings |
Help

The difficult part is that I want these columns to NOT wrap as much as
possible, spread across the width of the browser window and have equal
amounts of whitespace between.  So when the browser window is small, they
can crunch right next to each other (maybe with 1-2 ems padding between).
Any more downsizing of the browser window and they'll HAVE to wrap, that's
ok, but ideally I'd love a min-width setting that acts on that threshold.

This is easily achieved (though I haven't even tried it) using tables.  But
I need "We are the best" (not my real text) to be top in the source order.
And, of course, I'm very hesitant to use tables for layouts.  I know there's
a display: table declaration, but I understand no IE browsers pay attention
to it...  maybe there's an IE hack for this?

Oh and "Languages" is a drop-down menu.  Is the above possible without using
a table for the layout?  Is the above possible while keeping "We are the
best" at the top of the source order?

Thanks so much for any help.  This is my first CSS stylesheet, I've only
just read a few books on CSS including the excellent "Flexible Web Design
Creating Liquid and Elastic Layouts with CSS" by Zoe Gillenwater.

--
Scott Mueller
http://www.appletree.com