On Thu, March 26, 2009 10:18 pm, Angela French wrote:
> Can CSS be applied to the <select> tag in IE?  I can't get mine to remove
> the 3D effect.  I remember something about the styling of selects being an
> operating system style that can't be overwritten.

It depends which version of IE. IE 6 and below implement the <select>
element as a windowed control [1], so it follows the user's settings for
their Windows appearance and cannot be styled with CSS.

As of IE 7, it becomes a windowless control, and can be styled.

[1] <http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2006/01/17/514076.aspx>

Cheers,

Nick.
--