> I use the 'position: relative, left: -1.5em, padding-left: 1.5em'
> technique from
>
> http://csshowto.com/typography/hanging-punctuation-with-css/
>
> for full IE compatibility. Not sure if it's better than a negative
> left margin but, given IE's tendency to screw negative margins up, I
> suspect this is a safer IE-6 solution.
>
> - Bobby

That's a much nicer solution and obviates the need for the extra style
sheet, though I confess I don't fully understand how it works. I need
to get my head round the -1.5em/+1.5em trick.

But the example page from the csshowto

http://csshowto.com/examples/hangingpunctuation.html

shows a weird example and I can't see why one would want to achieve
that, except in the case of a ul with no markers. Hanging punctuation
is tolerable sometimes, but hanging numbers or bullets seem hideous to
me.

Peter H.