AG wrote:
> Bill, thanks for your reply. In your suggestion, it appears to me
> that if you don't float the li, all links will stack up in the center
>  of the container.

Not so. Inline-block lines up inline - in line, and the whole menu can
then be centered within body or whatever element you want it centered
in. No need to adjust/modify source-code - it's all CSS.

I have used a solution similar to what BB suggests, for years, and apart
from that Gecko only recently implemented proper 'inline-block' support
- older versions needed a 'display: -moz-inline-box;' workaround, and
that old IE/win needed a 'hasLayout' trigger to simulate 'inline-block',
the centered line-up is working perfectly across browser-land.
See link below.

regards
        Georg
--