In LaTeX, there's a package called 'tracking' which provides a few
methods that will adjust letter spacing to fit a given chunk of text
content to a specified width.

I'd like to replicate the effect of:

\fittrack{66ex}{$chapter}

(where $chapter is likely to be a string that looks like "CHAPTER 9"
or "CHAPTER 102")

Since the length of the string will vary, a fixed letter-spacing size
for all of the headings will result in a different width for
single-digit chapters versus double-digit chapters (or triple-digit
chapters).

I was hoping that maybe I could do something like:

div.tracked {
  width: 66ex;
  letter-spacing: auto;
}

but that doesn't seem to work in any browsers I've tried, since 'auto'
isn't a valid value for the letter-spacing property.

Any ideas? I guess I could just center the text and then work out a
letter-spacing value that would be close enough for most things, but
that feels like cheating to me. :)