Alan King wrote:
> Is there a fix for making IE impose my absolute positioned divs?
>
> http://www.helixdesign.ca

Yes.

IE6' "disappearing A:P element next to a float" bug can be problematic,
and not easy to fix in the stylesheet other than by abandoning either
the A:P or the float styling.
Separate absolute elements from floats in the markup, and IE6 will
render as intended.

How you separate them doesn't really matter, and I've just added a
number of <br> in there...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ak/test_09_0410.html>
...as a demo for how it works.

-----

Such a degree of absolute positioning of text-carrying elements makes
your design pretty fragile when exposed to font resizing in browsers
though...
<http://www.gunlaug.no/tos/alien/ak/fx-sc.png>
...so it would be better to ditch most absolute positioning and let the
entire layout adjust to the environment and various end-user options.

A better organized source-code with header and footer and two floating
columns with fixed width and auto-height, would be a good basis, and
there's no need to pull floats around with negative margins for a design
like yours - floating them left or right will do.

Proper use of background-color in addition to background-image on body.
will also help keep all text visible. Remember also that headlines as
background-images don't always make it through on their own.

regards
        Georg
--
http://www.gunlaug.no