On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 23:44:04 -0700
Came this utterance formulated by Divya Manian to my mailbox:

> On 4/9/09 1:37 PM, "Michael Adams" <linux_m...@paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>
> > Divya - I disagree. IE7 handles the XML declaration fine in
> > standards mode[1]. Although i see it on line 8 when it should always
> > be on line 1. IMHO IE less than IE7 should always be in quirks mode
> > and the XML declaration will achieve this.
> >
> > Jon - I am on linux here at home so no IE running. Will look at it
> > at work later today but you may already have an answer by then.
> >
> > [1] http://blogs.msdn.com/ie/archive/2005/09/15/467901.aspx
>
> I think this bug is still triggered in IE 6[1], but I didn't realise
> the question was asked for IE 7. Sorry about that.
>
> [1] http://www.quirksmode.org/css/quirksmode.html

My point was that I don't see quirks mode as a bug. I find it useful
and actively force IE5 - IE6 into it. That way they behave more
consistently. I see the XML declaration as the cleanest way to force
quirks mode.

--
Michael

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall
be well

 - Julian of Norwich 1342 - 1416