Climis, Tim wrote:
>> ...you might just as well introduce <b> or <strong> (or some other inline
>> element, to be styled), and
>> then you would not need to create an extra line break.
>>
>> No pure CSS solution (i.e. an approach that does not require any added
>> markup to separate the first line from the rest of the content) is possible.
>>
> That's sort of what I thought.  So <strong> or <span> it is.  I haven't
> decided which I like better for semantic purposes yet.

I would not use <strong> unless that text is intended to convey
additional meaning and/or emphasis.  Some screen readers will read
<strong>text inside of strong tags</strong> with emphasized pitch as if
excited.  In this case,  I do not think that would be helpful, it's a
simple Q & A so no emphasis is really needed for either.

I would use a <span> - OR -  it's a bit of a stretch for a definition
list, but how about:

<dl>
   <dt>Question or name(s) here:</dt>
   <dd>Answer or reply here</dd>
   <dt>Question or name(s) here:</dt>
   <dd>Answer or reply here</dd>
</dl>

You could use a CSS background image for "Q" and "A":
dt { font-weight: bold; background-image: url(path/to/Q.gif); }
dd { background-image: url(path/to/A.gif); }

Or, you could simply place the 'Q' and 'A' in the HTML:
<dl>
   <dt>Q: Question or name(s) here:</dt>
   <dd>A: Answer or reply here</dd>
   <dt>Q: Question or name(s) here:</dt>
   <dd>A: Answer or reply here</dd>
</dl>

Semantically, it's debatable.  Markup-wise, it's much cleaner.

--

*JONO YOUNG*
Designer | Developer | Illustrator