On Apr 17, 2009, at 3:38 PM, B. de Nijs wrote:

> for hiding the actual menutexts I wrap the menuitems texts with a span
> class  (.mainmenuitem { display: none; }
> I've done so successfully on other sites (www.scanrock.de) but cannot
> figure out why the hovering of the background images don't work on
> that new site I am creating right now.
> (when I copy/paste the menu in question in the other/older/well
> functioning scanrock site's menubar, all works fine)
>
> here the URLs for chekcingh:
> page with background-images displaying fine in normal state, but don't
> change at hovering
> <http://www.denijsdesign.de/more/clients/mendl/seiten/1.html>

The one difference between the two sites: on the scanrock.de site the
<a> is set to 'display:block'.
On http://www.denijsdesign.de/more/clients/mendl/seiten/1.html, the
<a> is inline; in that case width/height do not apply [1]. The content
result, all those <a> are - technically - empty ! Hovering over them
does absolutely nothing.

Solution: add the following to your stylesheet: .mainmenulist a
{display:block;}

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visudet.html#propdef-width>
width and height do not apply to inline elements

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/