Gunther Van Butsele wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A young webdesigner colleague of mine insists on using PNG's with alpha
> transparancy in his designs, mostly because he uses a lot of gradients
> and he wants them to flow seamlessly into the other backgrounds.
>
> Personally, I think it's bad practice to use such a feature since it
> isn't supported by all browsers, something very specific to the PNG
> format. I also have the mindset that you can get the same result by
> using different techniques, without alpha transparancy. I find it odd
> that they don't teach you these things in school to be honest..
>
> What do you guys think? Use it or lose it?

I also insist on the use of PNGs, so my sentiments reside with your
colleague.

The cross browser support of the PNG format is comparable and nearly
equivalent to JPG, with the exception of everyone's favorite red-headed
step-child: Internet Explorer (especially version 6 and older).

PNGs offer a great many more benefits than just the alpha channel
transparency and strong calls for its widespread implementation have
been issued by both the Free Software Foundation and the World Wide Web
Consortium, as well as others.

Learn more here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Network_Graphics

Invoice for $0.02 USD to follow.