David,

Aha! I had posted http://checkitlocal.com/sample.htm but I went ahead
and fixed all the little validation errors in the html and I switched
the doctype to what the site itself uses just to be  thorough.

Apparently, the <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01
Transitional//EN">  does not allow for the hover effect. When I put
back in the <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//
EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd";>
xmlns:v="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml
" xmlns:o="urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office">, it works like
intended. So it looks like my solution is to recode the site into the
second doctype and fix all the errors.

  I never use anything but that latter doctype, so it didn't occur to
me to even look there. Thank you very much (everyone) for all your help.
-Delos