Mark Henderson wrote:

>> Is this a IE6 whitespace bug you referring to for <li>?
>
> Heh, no. It seems I was a little too cute for my own good. I meant IE
> has a top padding of zero (the OP already knew Firefox had a top
> padding), hence the difference. That's why a padding of 0 on the UL
> seemed to fix the problem, at least at my end.
[...]
> adieu
> Mark

There is no padding top Mark. All browsers (apart from Safari) have the
default margin-top (1em) of the list showing. IE7- makes default
vertical margins disappear [1] since the list is within a hasLayout
container (the orange box is a float). So when you gave the style,

ul.left_menu_txt {
      list-style: none;
      margin: 0;
      padding: 0;
}

you zeroed out the margin-top of the list. Safari I think is mangling
the HTML causing the margin space to disappear and IE8 shows an unusual
drop of the link 'Standard' under it's own bullet.

<http://www.donann.co.uk/new_site/vertical_menu.html>

Mangled HTML:

<li><a href="placeholder"

1. <http://css-class.com/test/bugs/ie/haslayout-margins.htm>