> Under what circumstances might a container that has min-width set not
> grow beyond the size of min-width?

If the container doesn't need to grow beyond min-width.

To put that answer in the context of your previous question, browsers would
rather expand down than out.  If an item can wrap, it will, and then the
element width doesn't need to grow.

So there are two ways around this:

You can use   between your words to force the words to not wrap.
(Non-Breaking SPace means that a line can't break at it.  I forget, but I think
some browsers may not actually implement this correctly)

Or you can make your min-width big enough so your longest list-item doesn't
wrap (300px will do, unless someone decides your text is too small, which is
pretty likely).

---Tim