I'm having a lot of trouble getting a couple of lines of css to work in
IE8.

It works in Firefox but not IE8. Any ideas why? Is it the doctype? IE8
bug? Some error I've overlooked?

Here's the site: http://tinyurl.com/lo468u <http://tinyurl.com/lo468u>

Here's the css for this:

..boxes:first-child {

                margin-left: 0; /* removes the left-margin from the
first orange box at the bottom of the page */

}

div.colL img + .newsItem {

                border: none;  /* removes the border from the first news
item, on the right of the loudhailer image */

}

I know there are lots of validation errors with the XHTML -
unfortunately I have no access to the code right now but I'm working on
it! The css does validate.

Regards,

Vince