On a site I'm modifying I have an image that needs to always appear at
the bottom of a column, so I set the valign on the table cell to bottom
and all was wonderful until I was asked to put images in the bar as well
and the images need to appear at the top of the column.

You can see what I mean here:
http://wynright.com/gsa2/Handling_Equipment/Conveyors/.

On the left of the main body text there is a column under the menu. In
that column there are three buttons which need to appear directly under
the menu and there is a gray background fade which needs to appear at
the bottom of the column always. The other catch is that the gray bar
must always show in its entirety even if there is no or little text in
the body in order to give the page some substance.

With the valign set to bottom my positing is artificially lowered. If I
take that off I can't figure out how to lower the background gradient to
the bottom of the column. Suggestions?