> 1)
> The point is to have 1px between the vertical items.
> On any IE, when we click on any item on the horizontal menu, we get
> extra padding (I suppose). Why?

Solved.
I was getting, on my vertical menu, padding and margin values that come from
the #mainMenu.

Why? Because of my #mainMenu styles incorrect definition:
#mainMenu li a:link, li a:visited {

We are not targeting *only* the li a:link and a:visited elements inside
#mainMenu, the second part, after the comma,
tell us (I believe) that we are targeting li a:visited all over the
document, hence troubling with the display of the vertical menu as well.

I've solve this by specifying, the parent element again:

#mainMenu li a:link, #mainMenu li a:visited {

Márcio