On Sep 30, 2009, at 3:04 AM, Ellen Heitman wrote:

> To follow up on my last question, I'm including a link of the issue:
> http://www.williamtobrien.com/letters_leaving.html
>
> You'll notice that after the header (e.g., December 1942) there is a
> huge
> gap between it and the rest of the content. This error appears only
> in IE
> (I'm using version 7), it is displayed correctly in FF, Safari, Google
> Chrome, etc. I am using an iframe here and, strangely, when I view the
> original file in an IE browser, a bunch of strange characters (empty
> squares) appear below the heading and before the other content.
> Someone
> suggested this may be a server issue and not a CSS problem, in which
> case I
> would have to go elsewhere to get it resolved. Just wanted to check
> one last
> time to see if I should look into server-side issues, or if it's
> something
> in my HTML or CSS code.

Nothing to do with the server - it doesn't send any encoding header.
And nothing to do with CSS either...

1. the filed loaded in the iframe has a  content-type of ISO-8859-1 in
the meta
charset=ISO-8859-1" />
I'm not sure if it was originally coded as such, though - check the
settings in your editor.

2. there are a truckload of invisible characters between the closing </
h1> and the opening <table>: spaces and non-breaking spaces (&#160;).
They are 'visible' - that is, take up space- in IE, probably due to
the encoding mismatch.

here is a screenshot of your file in my editor, with 'show invisible
characters' turned on.
<http://dev.l-c-n.com/_b/Ellen.png

Philippe
---