--- On Tue, 10/6/09, Ezequiel Garzón <m...@ezequielgarzon.net> wrote:

> Greetings. As you will be able to
> tell, I'm a CSS rookie. My doubt is,
> if the body contains all the other containers, why does
> body { ... }
> behave different from * { ... }? Aren't properties supposed
> cascade? Inheritable properties at least, no?

In addition to the explanations of behaviour that have been given, I'd suggest
that you should avoid the universal selector wherever possible, especially with
properties that inherit (as in your example), since it causes all manner of
problems with inheritance. Using:

* { color: black; }

you can no longer make use of inheritance to style, for example, an entire
section with a different colour, since the universal selector will take
precedence over inheritance.

More here:

http://www.fiveminuteargument.com/blog/stop-breaking-inheritance

Cheers,