Jeff wrote: The problem is because your divs with ids of #mainmenu,
#sidebar, #masthead and #donations are all floating but your #maincontent
div isn't so that is causing it to basically bleed into your maine menu. so
when you are setting your padding it is essentially starting at the top of
the #mainmenu and not the #maincontent which is where you want. you can set
a width on your content div and float it."

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, I see what you mean.

For anyone new to this list and css then download the firebug extension that
Jeff suggested as this has helped me so much this morning to actually see
where my elements are laying.

Lisa