--- On Thu, 11/12/09, Angela French <afre...@sbctc.edu> wrote:

>  I want a consistent site-wide style for the
> headings, but then they are not readily identifiable as
> links.  I am looking for ideas/examples of others who
> have come up with a successful styling solution.

The suggestions you've already received are the most obvious ways of
identifying a link: if it's blue and underlined, it will be recognised as a
link. The further you divert from this, the less likely your links will be
recognised. Especially for headings, a border-bottom is far preferable to a
text-decoration: underline since it doesn't interrupt descenders and it can be
styled as a pixel-thin line.

Partly, the problem is that people just aren't used to headings being linked;
for your average web user, it's not a very common experience. I'd suggest that,
no matter what your solution, you think about linking the copy. Not, as you
rightly point out, by adding a meaningless 'More' link, but by linking relevant
words/phrases, for example in:

http://checkoutacollege.com/Parents/ForParents.aspx

you could link "the reasons community and technical colleges are the first
choice" under the first heading, "costs of all these different college options"
under the second, etc. If there's no suitable word or phrase, see if you can
rework the copy such that there is.

- Bobby