On Nov 16, 2009, at 8:12 PM, John Franks wrote:

> Hi, I'd be very grateful for help. I am quite new to CSS and a
> little confused. Thank you very much in advance.

First things first: welcome around !

> The site I am building is here at www.euro-peanflooring.co.uk

> I am trying to create the effect where the “back to top” image/link
> is initially coloured in white, as is currently happening. But when
> a user hover’s over the “back to top” image/link, I want it to
> change colour to yellow.
>
> To try and achieve this effect I am using a single background image
> which contains both the white (link) and yellow (hover) states, so
> the background image should be positioned “left bottom” or “left
> top” depending on which state is to be displayed. What am I doing
> wrong?
>
> My HTML code so far is as follows:
>
> My CSS code so far is as follows:
> #footer #backToTop {
> }
> #footer #backToTop a.backToTop, #footer #backToTop a.backToTop:link,
> #footer #backToTop a.backToTop:visited {
> }

Did you intended to have the <div> nested inside the <a href> element ?
If so, one, it is an invalid html construct; and two, that might be
the source of your problems because the selectors you use have it in
reverse (and thus don't match what is in your html).

#footer #backToTop a.backToTop translates as:
select  a 'a' with class 'backToTop' that is a descendent of an
element with ID 'backToTop' that itself is a descendent of and element
with ID 'footer'

As in this HTML

(with that html structure, your css code should work fine.)

SelectOracle is a handy resource to translate all those selectors in a
human readable way.
<http://gallery.theopalgroup.com/selectoracle/>

Philippe
---