On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 11:57:46AM -0800, Thierry Koblentz wrote:

> > Looks like a proper use for a table to me - with a background colour on
> > the table cells.
> >
> > HTH
> >

>  Could this also be done with a definition list and then styling the
> <dt> tag?
>
> We don't know much about the data but I agree, a DL could be another way to
> go (definitely not a table).
> When using a DL it would be the DDs that would need background styling, not
> the DTs though (see David's suggestion).

Thanks, I just tried following your suggestion and switching to a <dl>, but
have the same problem that the <dt> background doesn't extend the full height
of the <dd>,

http://www.sfu.ca/~jdbates/tmp/css/201001060/

The app I'm working on currently uses a <table>, e.g.

http://ica-atom.org/demo/informationobject/show/isad/288

- I'm trying to switch to markup which is more ammenable to restyling with CSS,
while still supporting the old "look"

Is the old "look" acheivable with CSS, without using a <table>?