> Abbreviation:  Mr.
> Acronym:  SCUBA
> Initialism:  FBI

I don't see the distinction between acronym (which I understand), and
initialism (which sounds like a made up word). Both are acronyms. Acronyms,
depending upon the "coined" usage, is either pronounced as a word or as
individual letters. The difference in which, is usually (but not always)
based on whether it has a word form to it.

APA ... pronounced A-P-A
AMPA ... pronounced Am-Pa

Both are acronyms as far as I am concerned.

Now, I also disagree with the HTML 5 draft to leave out ACRONYM. It is NOT
an abbreviation. Not because of pronunciation, but by definition. The pisser
is that this was a symantec tag that had merit and meaning in STM
publishing. (STM is an acronym that stands for
Scientific-Technical-Medical.) Now in most cases, authors in those fields
define the acronym at first use. This is specified in most writing style
guides.

...Rob

Rob Emenecker @ Hairy Dog Digital
www.hairydogdigital.com

Please note: Return e-mail messages are only accepted from discussion groups
that this e-mail address subscribes to. All other messages are automatically
deleted.