On 2010-02-12 Ann Randall wrote:
> And yes, you can read about the APA's return to two spaces at
> the end of sentences at
> http://www.apastyle.org/manual/whats-new.aspx Scroll down just
> below the "Chapter 4" subheading.

Do they really expect double-spaces between sentences to be
emulated in HTML/CSS, or just to be present in the plaintext
source?  Seems a bit daft to me!  There is of course the
possibility that they aren't aware that HTML renderers squash
horizontal whitespace and why they should do so.  Good
contemporary typographic practice is not to stuff extra
spacing between sentences.  See p. 28-30 of

Bringhurst, Robert. The Elements of Typographic Style: Version
3.0. [Point Roberts Wash.]: Hartley & Marks, Publishers, 2004.

I hasten to add that I learned to apply the practice on
the typewriter, and I still think it does add some clarity
when reading text in a monowidth font, but in text set or
rendered in a proportional font it's just disturbing.
For most languages it was never used in printing.

On-topically: the only way to emulate double spaces with CSS
which I can think of would be to wrap every sentence in a
Any other?

In HTML you can put &nbsp;&nbsp; plus an ordinary space after
each sentence, but that's awfully presentational markup.

/BP 8^)>