On Mar 2, 2010, at 4:06 AM, Elli Vizcaino wrote:

> With regards to the font-size issues in Safari - it's amazing that on your
> Mac, several browsers are showing an overlap, while on my PC it is just
> Safari 3 and Safari Windows. I think this has something to do with the way
> Macs tend to render fonts. They have some kind of "inherit bold" in addition
> to CSS bold or something for lack of a better word. And yes I did style the
> text in the nav bold but it's the actually size of the font being rendered in
> Safari 3, Safari Windows and apparently on a Mac machine that is throwing it
> off. I thought that using reset styles, percentages and ems would have worked
> in providing more consistency in font-size across all the browsers/platforms.
> Any ideas on how to resolve this?

It is not some kind of 'inherited bold', but (1) the font-smoothing technology
in action, (2) different kerning between Helvetica and Arial. Safari4 Windows
has a preference to control which font-smoothing technology is used; you
possibly have it set to use Apple's, although that is not the default.
Here is a screenshot of your header in Safari4 OS X 10.6
http://dev.l-c-n.com/_b/ev20100302.png
As said, other browsers on OS X (both 10.5 and 10.6) display the same.
And on Fx 3.6 Linux/Ubuntu910:
http://dev.l-c-n.com/_b/ev20100302-2.png

Your whole header falls apart if the user has a different font-size than what
you expect, or if the user sets a minimum font-size higher than 12px (not
uncommon). And no, setting your font-size to 12px instead of using
ems/percentages won't fix anything.

Your best course of action is think about a construction that doesn't depend on
the exact px dimensions of text. At present the placement of your search form
depends completely on the width of the navigation list on the left. Think about
positioning it from the right as a start. At least you know the px dimensions
from the background-image. and everything to the right of the label is locked
in px (images).

PS -'reset styles' never fix anything but add a layer of clutter to the
stylesheet. I *set* my stylerules, not reset.

Philippe
---
Philippe Wittenbergh
http://l-c-n.com/