Bobby,
You solution works, but it means that the sub menu would always have to be
"attached" to the top menu item.

-----Original Message-----
From: Bobby Jack [mailto:bobbykj...@yahoo.co.uk]
Sent: Thursday, March 04, 2010 10:11 AM
To: 'css discuss'; Angela French
Subject: Re: [css-d] help with single level drop down menu

--- On Thu, 3/4/10, Angela French <afre...@sbctc.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
> I am trying to create drop down menus (one level, dropping
> down from horizontal list items in a top nav bar).  My
> issue is that that, while the drop down menu appears when
> hovering over top level list item, when the user moves OFF
> of that list item to move into the drop down sublist, the
> sublist disappears.

Hi Angela,

You have a gap between your toplistitem and your sublist. When the pointer
moves over this gap, it's no longer hovering over the toplistitem, so the
:hover style doesn't apply. Try setting:

div#navbar li.toplistitem { height: 29px; }

to confirm this. That's probably not the style that you *want*, but that's the
cause of the problem.

If you want an example of how to build a really nice dropdown menu, take a look
at this one I stumbled across today:

http://www.webdesignerwall.com/tutorials/css3-dropdown-menu/

- Bobby