UPDATE:

Thanks to to helpful advice from Alan and others I rebuilt this page from
scratch:

http://www.em-w.com/oldschoolband/homepage_new.html

I used the html and css on this page as a starting point:

http://css-class.com/test/demos/sticky-footer3.htm

So I think its an improvement and I got the crowd to behave correctly! Two
things though; I was unable to get the crowd in front of the rotating images
without a z-index property, and I was unable to control the positioning of the
rotating images without setting an absolute. I was warned against both of these
practices in this thread. But at least it seems to work now in multiple
browsers.

If anyone would care to critique this layout structure and offer suggestions on
how to improve it -- either on those two points or anything else --  I'm all
ears.

Thanks! Matthew