3. third LI, with
   wrapping content
   and the hanging indent auto-set.

#1. first LI
#2. second LI
#3. third LI, with
    wrapping content
    and the hanging indent auto-set.

So far I've managed to get the marker changed with a 'list-style-type:
none' and a custom counter.  The hanging indent isn't working
properly, though, and I can't seem to set the marker box width
independent of the LI content box.  And I'd really rather not futz
with my own counters, since that messes up the "start=" and "value="
attributes for discontiguously numbered list.

So I guess there are two questions in here:

1. How can I set up a custom marker for an ordered list and let the
marker box and hanging indent be auto-sized?  And
2. Is there any pseudo-identifier for the 'default' counter in an
ordered list, so I can use "counter-reset: <name> 12" and
"counter(<name>)" to modify the automatic counter and not have to
define my own?

Thanks!
--
Ken Coar
OSS developer, opinionist, author, and sanagendamgagwedweinini