Thanks very much for your reply Tim. I will try it your way. It's incredible
really that something so common as this cannot be simplified or standardized in
some way. Common sense suggests the browser owners should work together a
little more than they obviously do.

P.S. Does anyone know why IE7 insists on adding extra horizontal padding to the
sides of a block element such as an <input type="submit"> or an <a> tag styled
to look like a button?