On Sunday, May 09, 2010 4:31:46 pm genericmailli...@gmail.com wrote:

> >> the

> >> Yes, Frames without frames is exactly what I want. Hopefully the URLs
> >> you gave as well as the ones on those pages will provide the answer. I
> >> have a basic understanding of how to do it. Maybe I will discover
> >> something new or discover an error in my code. I have a lot of reading
> >> to do. Thanks.
> >
> > These URLs won't help you.
> > To find a solution, you need first to understand the problem.
> > A browser scrolls a document until the named anchor reaches the top of
> > the "window/frame" it is in.
> > So as long as your header is part of that document, named anchors will
> > move behind it. Padding, margin, top, whatever you want to use will not
> > change that behavior. Unless of course you are ok to increase the gap
> > between the sections.
> > Because in this case, you could use *top padding* on the paragraphs. That
> > way the anchor position does *not* changed, but the position of the text
> > will. And that can "clear" the header.
> > But do you want a gap between those sections?

Hmm.  I'm a little surprised that no one's mentioned the easy fix here...
It'll need some clean up with the margins, but should create the desired
effect.

Also, there may be a better way to do this: I just banged it out on Saturday
morning in the 15 minutes before I had to go out.

#body {
  position: fixed;
  top: 72px;
  bottom: 0;
  left: 138px;
  overflow: auto;
  margin: 0;
  padding: 0;
}

Works exactly as desired, in Chrome on Linux.  Don't have the time to check
FF, but probably works there too.

---Tim