Rick Gordon wrote:
> Thanks, David. That worked.
>
> I was able to whittle it down to:
>       *:first-child+html #content-wrapper,
>       *:first-child+html #main-wrapper
>       {z-index:10;}
>
> Even the following is not required:
>       *:first-child+html #content-wrapper #sidebar {
>       z-index:-1;
>       }
>
> ...and it actually works with just the main-wrapper reference, but the
> dimensions change slightly, so other fixes would be required in its absence.
>
> So thanks again; you've been very helpful with the several issues I've
> brought forth since joining the list.
>
> But could you please explain the logic by which this works, as opposed to
> just a direct reference to #main-wrapper?
>
> Thanks,
> Rick Gordon

Others on this list are far better qualified to provide  a specific
answer to your good question.

 From my simplistic holistic viewpoint,  I think of the z-index  as  a
means to /pull/ or advance an element forward from the canvas [screen]
in space/time (plus) and to /push/ or make another element recede back
from the canvas in space/time (minus).

How one accomplishes that "stacking" can sometimes boggle the mind.
These links are helpful in that regard:

Understanding z-iindex

<http://tjkdesign.com/articles/z-index/teach_yourself_how_elements_stack.asp>

CSS2.1  9.9.1 Specifying the stack level: the 'z-index' property
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/visuren.html#z-index>

Elaborate description of Stacking Contexts
<http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/zindex.html>

Best,
~d

--