On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 5:49 PM, Paul Novitski <p...@juniperwebcraft.com> wrote:
> All this stuff is good to know and I'm glad for the discussion.
>
> However, for the case at hand, it seems like an awful lot of
> complicated, proprietary fuss merely in order to use background
> images in the menu.

The CSS isn't proprietary, merely vendor prefixes. It is, as someone
else pointed out, avant-garde. The effect comes from the CSS3 and
isn't finalized, hence the vendor prefixes. Once the spec is
finalized, the prefixes can be removed. For example, we have been able
to use -moz-border-radius and -webkit-border-radius for a couple of
years now; my understanding is that the spec is 'complete' and the
next version of browsers (including Opera and IE9) will all support
the simpler border-radius.

>May I ask, why not simply use foreground icon
> images and change their height or width on hover? That would be
> cross-browser-compatible for anything that can parse CSS.

This is cross-browser compatible. For browsers that do not support the
transform, nothing happens but they still get the text and image. Of
course, there could be other changes, such as color and image
swapping, going on in addition to the transform that those browsers
would implement.

> I don't see
> that having the icon in the foreground is any more of an issue than,
> say, having a foreground thumbnail image in a gallery be the link to
> its larger counterpart. Isn't this a case where one could argue both
> sides of the question, "Is it content or is it presentation"?

Yes, this would fall into a semantic debate (see Thierry's reply). But
for the CSS I used it doesn't matter if the image is foreground,
background or not there. The transform effects the <a> element.

Tim