On Wed, 16 Jun 2010 07:36:05 -0400, Tim Climis <tcli...@exchange.iu.edu>
wrote:

>On Wednesday, June 16, 2010 7:26:19 am Jeff Zeitlin wrote:

>> I'm reluctant to do major hacking on the HTML; I'd prefer to stick to
>> just using CSS to do this.  Am I asking for too much at this point?  If
>> not, how do I do it?

>That depends.  Are you willing to use CSS3 properties which are not supported
>in all browsers yet?  If you are, then CSS can help you.

>Spec: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-multicol/
>and usage: http://www.css3.info/preview/multi-column-layout/

>I haven't tried it in a print stylesheet, but I have used it on actual pages
>and it works reasonably well.

I have no particular objection to using CSS3; the question then becomes
how well these particular properties are supported.  According to
http://caniuse.com ("When Can I Use..."), neither Presto nor Trident
support them at the present time, and it is unknown whether the next
version of either will support it.  With only Gecko and Webkit
supporting it, I suspect that the overall support level (in terms of
number of visitors) is going to be under - possibly well under - 50%,
which I would find ... unsatisfactory.

I'll experiment with this, though, and see how well it works in Gecko
and Webkit.

--
Jeff Zeitlin, Editor
Freelance Traveller

edi...@freelancetraveller.com
http://www.freelancetraveller.com
http://come.to/freelancetraveller
http://freelancetraveller.downport.com/

®Traveller is a registered trademark of
Far Future Enterprises, 1977-2009. Use of
the trademark in this notice and in the
referenced materials is not intended to
infringe or devalue the trademark.

Freelance Traveller extends its thanks to the following
enterprises for hosting services:

CyberNET Web Hosting (http://www.cyberwebhosting.net)
The Traveller Downport (http://www.downport.com)