Peter Coates wrote:
> I know that there is an easy solution for this if I was trying to do this
> for all media, simply put the main content in an outer div.  But (a) the
> content then flows around the nav div, and (b) I want the conventional fixed
> width layout for the normal "screen" media type.

I guess you already know exactly what you want. And someone on the list
may be able to provide the solution you seek for it. But, you may want
to consider some alternatives. Particularly, if your interest lies in
something other than just hitting the very high-end mobile devices and
their carriers.

Something like this for the screen /may/ yield a much simpler conversion
to a mobile device version.
<http://chelseacreekstudio.com/ca/cssd/3.html>

Best,
~d